How often do you update your Facebook Cover photo? The answer is probably not enough. I asked Facebook marketing expert Mari Smith through her Facebook page and she said , "I change mine about once a week.... rotate them. It's up to you. But once a month at least!"
If you are having a hard time figuring out how to regularly update your Facebook cover photo, the answer might be Instagram. If you are active on Instagram or if your Facebook Page fans are active on Instagram, you can turn the best images in to a beautiful collage and use it as a Facebook Cover photo.
What is Instagram and how is it used?
- 100% free custom designed filters and borders such as XPro-II, Earlybird, Rise, Amaro, Hudson, Lo-fi, Sutro, Toaster, Brannan, Inkwell, Walden, Hefe, Nashville, 1977, and others.
- Linear and Radial Tilt-Shift blur effects for extra depth of field.
- Instant sharing to Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr, Foursquare, and Posterous
- Unlimited uploads
- Interact with friends through giving & receiving likes and comments
- Full iPhone 4 front & back camera support
How to make a collage from Instagram
Instagram collages can be made manually, or by the help of an application or website. The following are different options for creating a collage using instagram.
Instacover: Instacover is a website that lets you quickly and easily assemble a collage of your Instagram photos to spruce up your Facebook page.
- To get started, you have to sign-in with your Facebook account.
- Next, you’ll need to authorize this app to access your basic information and also post on your behalf.
- You can choose your own photos, insert user ID of another user, specify a category, tags or select from photos that you liked. You can also choose the layout, spacing, add text with a color of your choice and do much more.
- The image is not directly made your profile cover, but it is saved to your album on Facebook. On your timeline page, click on “Change cover > Choose from Photos” and then select your newly created image as your cover. The final image will have a stamp that states “Created with Instacover.com”.
Pic Collage: This is a Smartphone application that allows users to import photos from their photo library, their Facebook albums (and your friends' albums too), or use photos from the web to create a collage. There are also lots of fun backgrounds and stickers for you to choose from! Since we would be using instagram, we can easily save our instagram photos into our photo library.
- First, save all instagram photos you would like to be included to your Smartphone or Ipad.
- Next, create the collage with the photos that you choose using the application (once downloaded).
- Save the collage to your Smartphone or Ipad.
- Upload the photo to Facebook and set as cover photo.
Pic Stitch: This is another smartphone application that allows users to create a before-and-after sequence, combine great photos, or produce a photographic series. It has 32 different layouts and is easy to use. Because we would be using our Instagram photos, we could save them onto our Smartphone or Ipad for easy access. Below is an example of the application via your Smartphone or Ipad.
Posterfuse: Posterfuse is a website that allows users to bring their Instagram photos to life. Users have the option to either turn their Instagram photos into a poster, or into a Facebook collage. Upon entering the website, it will ask you for your Instagram log-in information, in order to access your photos. Once logged in, click the option that reads, “Create an Instagram Facebook Cover.” The rest is simple and easy. Drag and drop your photos to create the collage of your choice, and click the download button when you are through to save your brand new Facebook cover photo to your desktop.
Photoshop: The advantage to creating your Instagram cover photo for Facebook using Adobe Photoshop is that you have full control over the pictures, the size, and the clarity of the photo. The best way to go about making this type of cover photo would be to first download any images from Instagram to your computer via e-mail. Then, you have to keep in mind the dimensions of the Facebook cover photo, which is 850 by 315. Using these dimensions will ensure that the photo is clean and clear in resolution.
Here are links to two different YouTube videos guiding you through the process:
http://youtu.be/DBiQdanJWh0 - This video contains information on how to use their collage templates to create a collage timeline cover photo via Photoshop.
http://youtu.be/wDTMxXwDPbM - This video is very helpful in explaining how to use Photoshop to create a collage of photographs. When using this video tutorial to create a cover photo for Instagram, you would have to email yourself the photos from Instagram, and then save them to your desktop. Then, be sure to use the pixel dimensions 850 by 315. These dimensions are essential to creating a cover photo that fits your Facebook page clearly.
Which option works best?
Overall, there are many different options for creating a collage of Instagram photos as a cover photo for Facebook. For those of you who are proficient users of Photoshop, we recommend using that option. This is because although it requires the most effort, it produces the clearest and highest resolution picture. For the rest of you non-Photoshop users, Posterfuse offers the easiest and highest quality solution to creating an Instagram collage. It is already formatted to the cover photo size, and quickly and easily imports your Instagram photos.
Additional reporting provided by Katie Higginbotham.