Instagram is a free photo-sharing application and social platform that was launched in October 2010. This application allows users to take photos with their mobile phones, apply a digital filter to it, and then share it with other users. Instagram is growing in users each and every day and now has more activity per day than Twitter. It is important to increase fan base by integrating multiple social media platforms all in one place. Instagram can be easily integrated with your Facebook Fan page allowing more exposure to the page.
The integration of both your Instagram and your Facebook can be done by the use of an application or by connecting through Instagram itself. Below I have explained step-by-step, two recommended applications and also the Instagram option.
OPTION #1: Instagram Feed on Fan Page App
Step One: Finding and Installing the Application on Facebook
- Once logged into your Facebook account, (make sure it is an account that has access to the fan page you are trying to integrate with), the first step is to search and install the Instagram application.
- Type “Instagram” into the search bar at the top of the page, and a drop down menu of Instagram options will appear.
- Select the Instagram option under “Apps” that is entitled “Instagram feed for your fan pages.”
Step Two: Installing the Application
- Once you have clicked the “Instagram feed for your fan page” option, it will bring you to a page that looks like the photo below.
- Click the blue button that reads “Go to App” and this will install the application for your use.
Step Three: Selecting the Pages that you would like to Integrate
- The third step includes allowing permission for Instagram to be integrated with your pages.
- Notice that it lists the fan pages that the account has access to. Note that this does not automatically mean that the Instagram will be installed on all of your pages; it simply means that it has the OPTION to be.
- Click the blue button that reads “Allow” to complete this step.
Step Four: Selecting the Pages that will include the Instagram Application
- Now that majority of the process is finished, there are just a couple more steps to complete.
- Once you have allowed the Instagram application to access your account, you will select which pages you would like to actually feature the Instagram application on. For example, if you only wanted to include the Instagram on two of your Facebook pages, you would only select the circles for those two options. To complete this step, click the blue button reading, “Add Instagram feed tab.”
- VERY IMPORTANT: This application will only let you select one page at a time, so if you want to add the Instagram feed to a second fan page; you simply have to repeat this very quick process for that page.
Step Five: Validating the Instagram Account and Login Information
- Now you are essentially done with this process, except for one, very small, very important step.
- After completing the previous step, a login window will appear.
- Fill in the correct information for the Instagram account that you wish to feature on your page.
- Once you click the “Login” button, you are all set.
- You can see your Instagram application on your Facebook page on the drop down menu for applications.
OPTION #2: InstaTab
This tab is easy to set up. You can showcase your photos is a tiny grid form, medium grid or larger. What we like about this app is that it allows for Facebook comments and your visitors can even share the photo on Facebook. This means more interaction with your photos right on Facebook but it also means it takes the discussion off of Instagram. These steps are very similar to the steps above.
Step One: Once you have logged into Facebook and located the Instagram Tab Application, click “Go to App.”
Step Two: Select the page, which you would like to add the Instagram tab to. Then click the “Add Instagram Tab” button to install the application.
This application is beneficial because all the photos are displayed neatly for your users to see.
- You can click the arrow at the top right of the box to reveal an administration panel.
- Here you have the option of making the photos thumbnail size, small, or medium size. Below is the example of the “small” sized photos.
- Also, users may share your photos and comment on them via Facebook using this application, unlike the one discussed above.
OPTION #3: Instagram Individual Downloading
The third option is to integrate Instagram and Facebook using the Instagram program itself. This is not quite as simple because this requires you select each photo, as you would like to upload it to Facebook as well.
- Tap the Profile tab.
- Tap the Context Menu button at the top right of your screen.
- Tap "Sharing settings" under Account.
- From there you can select a third-party service in order to log in and connect.
- If you want to edit your connection, tap on the service to change your information.
- If you want to remove your connection to an account you've already connected with, tap the green check mark to unlink.
- Now, every time you take a photo on Instagram, you'll have the option to toggle sharing on or off in the Sharing section for the third-party services you've connected to before you post your photo to Instagram.
All three of these options will accomplish your goal of integrating both your Facebook and Instagram applications. However,the InstaTab Application (Option #2) has the most to offer. It is quick and easy and displays all Instagram photos on one page. From this page, users can click on individual photos, share them, and even comment on them. The goal here is fan engagement and although all three options work, InstaTab has the most to offer in terms of engaging your fans.
Additional reporting provided by Katie Higginbotham.